Barefoot Interview #11: Austria's Toby

There are many different people from all over the world who like going barefoot. Some people like doing it as a hobby. On the other hand, other people who go barefoot as a tradition or as a part of their culture. Apparently, there are many who like going barefoot are unable to share their stories. So, this will be a long interviewing series and talking to people who are from all over and let them speak about their barefooting. So, welcome the newest barefoot interviewee, Toby. Toby is (currently) a self-employed engineer in his mid-40s; he was born in Austria and resides in Austria. Here is what Toby had to say about being barefoot.


What inspired you to go barefoot? 
I used to feel exposed and unprotected when I was barefoot, as I had no positive examples of anyone doing it differently as a child. The few examples of barefooters in literature appeared very strange to me. But at some point I tried (I think after a beach holiday) and I enjoyed it. I was rather worried about what people think, it took me years to get rid of those worries.

What are some of the reasons you like going barefoot?
It is practical, I feel the ground, I feel freedom, I don't overheat, it is a great pleasure to expand my limits in terms of terrain and temperature.

Name some places you like going barefoot.
I love the beach, the meadows, forests and mountains. Even the snow. Some indoors places are also wonderful. Cool stone floor on a hot day. Carpets and wooden floors.

Where would you like to try and go barefoot that you haven't done so?
I have tried going barefoot almost everywhere. I would like to try fire-walking sometime (that involves some preparation to be safe).

Why do you think people should go barefoot more often besides at home and the beach?
They don't know what they miss unless they try. It would help some to cheer up and not be grumpy all the time. And they would be more considerate of their environment and less likely to leave their rubbish everywhere.

Give us a story of a time you went barefoot and had a lot of fun doing it.
A year ago it was unusually warm and sunny in January, while the landscape was covered in snow. I decided to give it a try, I went out barefoot, I walked and ran quite a good distance for almost an hour, feeling the wonderful snow, I didn't get uncomfortably cold.

Why do you think some stores have banned going barefoot?
That is very rare anywhere in Europe (I don't know any "chain policies" in that regard, only a few individual shops making up some rules). I guess they are afraid of people hurting their feet and blaming it on the shop.

If possible, please share any of your barefooting experiences.
I could talk of my whole day in the city and nature. I earn a lot of surprised stares but don't run into obstacles such as people telling me I can't be barefoot or situations too unpleasant to walk barefoot.

Since going barefoot is healthy, why do you think people deny it? 
They believe stories that they will catch a cold, get bladder problems, worms, infections - that their feet need "support" on hard ground - all of this is exaggerated, with healthy circulation your feet will keep themselves warm, act as natural "damper" if you walk on the forefoot, and you won't be cut easily once you are mentally and physically conditioned.

Finish this analogy: Someone who does not want to go barefoot is like...
...one who tries to play piano in mittens or goes to the cinema blindfolded: They shut off an important sense.

What would you say to someone who thinks going barefoot is gross?
Feet are cleaner than shoes because if you walk barefoot, you watch your step and won't step into anything disgusting. If you need to, you can easily clean your feet, it takes just a minute in the shower. Unsightly, disfigured feet are typically the result of wearing shoes; walking barefoot a lot just gives you a healthy robust look.

Conclusion.
I do thank Toby for taking the time and answering these questions and as well as supporting that going barefoot is actually a good and healthy thing. Tune in next time when someone else in another country talks about their likes on barefooting. Remember, speak your mind and comment down below.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Barefoot Interview #36: Australia's Steve

Barefoot Interview #25: USA's James #2