Barefoot Interview #31: United Kingdom's Kit

There are many different people from all over the world who like going barefoot. Some people like doing it as a hobby. On the other hand, other people who go barefoot as a tradition or as a part of their culture. Apparently, there are many who like going barefoot are unable to share their stories. So, this will be a long interviewing series and talking to people who are from all over and let them speak about their barefooting. So, welcome the newest barefoot interviewee, Kit, well, his preferred name. He is (currently) a 33-year-old term-time retail assistant; he was born in Shoreham upon Sea, UK and resides in Coventry, UK. Here is what Kit had to say about being barefoot.

What inspired you to go barefoot?
It was a combination of factors. After leaving university in 2004 I kind of came across it just in general though I didn't really understand what it was about. For a few years I made a slow progression towards trying it out. This included writing a book with a barefoot protagonist and making contact with the SBL to ask questions.I suppose, to a degree, that barefoot  character inspired me as I wished I had their social confidence to do something that totally flew in the face of social convention. Eventually I committed to the lifestyle after a trip to London saw me hurt myself on flip flops. I decided then to either be barefoot or to buy some proper shoes. I chose the former and have yet to regret the decision.

What are some of the reasons you like going barefoot?
Improvement of my social confidence and anxiety. Improved health and immune response. The feeling of textures underfoot. The development of my soles and how durable they have become. Ultimately, my desire to improve has encouraged me to take a more proactive means of getting around. Instead of taking a bus or driving I'll consider walking it instead. This has led to better health because if exercise. All because of barefooting. I've found feet to be incredibly endurable whatever the situation. I've come home now and again feeling invincible. That's an emotion nothing else has come close to. Because I'm barefoot....

Name some places you like going barefoot.
I go everywhere barefoot so the places that stand out is in nature. A good muddy walk or even a bit of hill walking where the toes seem to grip better than boots ever will...I had a really good walk once in a wood just at the end of summer. It had rained the day before so the ground was soft. It was warm and very pleasant to walk around. Days like that, that are just right, are few and far between.

Where would you like to try and go barefoot that you haven't done so?
Tescos.... No not really. Mt. Snowdon maybe. I rarely get near cliffs so I'd like to see if my feet are any good against it. I'd love to try the Amazon Rain Forest but the amount of ground life is overwhelming so I'd probably need to befriend a local tribesman and follow their lead (as you do).

Why do you think people should go barefoot more often besides at home and the beach?
There are numerous heath benefits from regular barefooting. These days life is all about exercising and healthy living. Yet the feet are still neglected and there are so many myths about what might happen to them, which are untrue. It sounds crazy that so many good things can come out of just walking around barefoot, something you don't have to pay for, no gimmicks or gadgets. But it's true.

I made a list of benefits once:
Charges up the immune system so as to aid you better if you should ever get sick;
Free reflexology workout which helps keep the internal organs balanced and issue free;
Helps offset bunions that tight fitting shoes can lead to;
Eliminates the possibility of contracting foot infections like athlete’s foot, nail fungal infections and ingrowing toe nails
Exercises muscles in the legs that shoes otherwise negate;
Allows one to be softer on your knees, hips and ankles leading to a lighter step resulting in greater lower body strength;
Offset arthritic issues in hips and spine and knees;
Possible links to helping alzheimers and dementia sufferers retain their minds for longer if not indefinitely;
Possible improvement in eyesight;
Definite improvement in social confidence and body image issues...
There are more but the full benefits are slowly being realised...

Give us a story of a time you went barefoot and had a lot of fun doing it.
My first barefoot hike. It was organised by a prominent barefooter of the time. I went shod then got barefoot with the others who came as well. We had a guide and it was through woodland though I forget where. There were about 6 of us, some much older than me. It was nice to have experienced barefooters there but the real perk was all the various surfaces. Grass, moss and a lot of mud! At one point about three of us were wading, ankle deep, through this wad of mud and clay (I think). Then we hear a call from behind. We'd gone the wrong way! I didn't mind, it was fun trudging back. We then got lunch and even a wet walk around a smallholding, it started pelting it down with rain... I returned to the train station feeling pretty good. Some guy wondered where my shoes were and I answered proudly 'they're in my bag!'. Got the train home barefoot, even through Waterloo train station. I was with two others so I wasn't completely on my own but they were barefoot too, which helped. A great trip and one I hope to never forget!

Why do you think some stores have banned going barefoot?
Silly etiquette rules. In an age where no one wears a suit anymore just to go out some places think that decorum still matters. Yet they'll allow flip flops.... go figure. Others fear litigation or if client should hurt themselves. Basically they don't know the law and would rather lose business than risk a lawsuit. Or they have no policy but the staff are podophobic and so react badly to barefoot patrons.

If possible, please share any of your barefooting experiences. 
I've cut myself a few times. Each time it has been a non event. Regardless of the damage, the feet just seem to take care of themselves. Yes, it hurts as they heal and some may argue that this should send me back to shoes. But considering all the benefits, it seems a small price to pay.... A few injuries stand out just because of how my feet responded to them. One was so small and miniscule I can only surmise that it must have been a stinger of some kind. After the initial pain, it was as if the feet knew they had still to be used  (I was walking into town at the time) and suddenly the pain was gone. It returned the next day but for that brief moment, they acted totally normal. 

That's happened a few times and always when on the move. It just shows you that the body knows how to deal with injuries and that you don't need to running to hospital everytime you injure yourself (as seems to be a common trend these days). Another injury saw me whack my foot off a paving slab with enough force to split the skin (I was running at the time). It bled a great deal but, healed within days. I thought this unique until I did it again to the other foot under similar conditions. Same result either way. 

Other interesting events have been in the form of terrain covered. I've been lucky enough to visit the volcanic rocks of the Galapagos, the worn stones of Machu Pichu and the dusty trails of Nazca. In all places my feet performed admirably. I did resort to footwear when on walkabout in deepest darkest Amazon Rain Forest, but that seemed prudent considering my inexperience with the terrain. It's also a demonstration of using shoes as a tool rather than rely upon them all the time. I once managed a good few miles in the snow and though I did get a spot of chilblains for my inexperience, my feet recovered after a week to little ill effect. My range is far and it doesn't matter if I am doing the route for the first time for years or straight off the bat, my feet, legs and body are capable of handling the miles and more.

Since going barefoot is healthy, why do you think people deny it?
They may not know about it, I've encountered people who are oblivious of this lifestyle. I know I never considered it and only encountered the idea once when was a kid. Perhaps that laid the seeds for later life but many people think there are just specific clothing options in specific places. And when they see someone bucking that established trend it's best they think them eccentric rather than sensible or right. Or they take a live and let live approach and carry on.

Finish this analogy: Someone who does not want to go barefoot is like...
Someone afraid of their own shadow. Being barefoot is not a bad thing but many insist to only do so in set situations. Because those are safe situations? Everywhere is a good place to try it. Why limit yourself because of fear..?

What would you say to someone who thinking going barefoot is gross?
It's not. It's really good for you. It's part of your nature. We're born barefoot. Don't be afraid of your own feet, they'll thank you for it.

Conclusion.
I do thank Kit for taking the time and answering these questions and as well as supporting that going barefoot is actually a good and healthy thing. Tune in next time when someone else in another country talks about their likes on barefooting. Remember, speak your mind and comment down below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barefoot Interview #36: Australia's Steve

Barefoot Interview #25: USA's James #2