Barefoot Interview #33: USA's Brendan

There are many different people from all over the world who like going barefoot. Some people like doing it as a hobby. On the other hand, other people who go barefoot as a tradition or as a part of their culture. Apparently, there are many who like going barefoot are unable to share their stories. So, this will be a long interviewing series and talk to people who are from all over and let them speak about their barefooting. So, welcome the newest barefoot interviewee, Brendan. He is (currently) a 19-year-old college freshman; he was born and resides in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Here is what Brendan had to say about being barefoot.


What inspired you to go barefoot?
I wasn't really inspired, I just stumbled into it (literally). One day when I was almost 17, while at a family picnic in a park, my cousin playfully shoved me toward a stream and I stumbled in up to my ankles. My shoes filled with water and my socks got all wet. It was too uncomfortable sloshing around like that, so I decided to take off my shoes and socks and spent the rest of the day out there barefoot. It was a totally new experience for me, as I had never really been out with bare feet before that. It was so comfortable and I loved the feeling of freedom. I also really enjoyed the new sensations of actually feeling what I was walking on-- the different textures and temperatures. After getting a taste of it I have tried to be barefoot as much as I can ever since.

What are some of the reasons you like going barefoot?
I find it to be much more comfortable than wearing shoes and it gives me a great feeling of freedom. I also really like being able to feel stuff with my feet and toes-- hard concrete sidewalks, sharp gravel, soft grass and carpet, hot asphalt streets in summer, rough, smooth, wet, dry, hot, cool. I totally missed out on all this when I used to wear shoes all the time.

Name some places you like going barefoot.
Pretty much everywhere, really.

Where would you like to try and go barefoot that you haven't done so?
I have at least tried going barefoot pretty much everywhere I can think of.

Why do you think people should go barefoot more often besides at home and the beach?
I don't really feel comfortable saying what other people should do. If I want them to respect my choice to be barefoot I have to respect their choices, whatever they may be. Going barefoot a lot has made my feet healthier, happier, and stronger, which works for me. And by the way, some people I know even wear shoes at home and at the beach. Funny to admit, but I used to be one of them.

Give us a story of a time you went barefoot and had a lot of fun doing it.
Oh, I don't know. I go barefoot a lot and usually have fun doing it.

Why do you think some stores have banned going barefoot?
I think there are a few reasons, all of them misguided. One is that they assume it is against some law or health code, which it's not. Another is that they simply follow the policy other stores have. And another is that they are afraid of liability if barefoot people get hurt, but it's really not their job to babysit their customers. They also probably assume that bare feet are more fragile, weak, and vulnerable than they really are.

If possible, please share any of your barefooting experiences. 
I have barefoot experiences pretty much every day, so it's hard to see one that really stands out.

Since going barefoot is healthy, why do you think people deny it?
People are mostly unaware of the fungus and bacteria that grow in their shoes. They also greatly underestimate the damage shoes can do to their feet and at the same time they greatly overestimate the risks and dangers of going barefoot.

Finish this analogy: Someone who does not want to go barefoot is like...  
Someone who doesn't know what they're missing!

What would you say to someone who thinking going barefoot is gross?
Well, for those who wear shoes, I think the fungus and bacteria growing on their feet is gross... and the ways shoes can deform people's feet and toes are also pretty gross. But in the end, they're entitled to their opinions, as long as they don't try to force those ideas on others.


Conclusion.
I do thank Brendan for taking the time and answering these questions and as well as supporting that going barefoot is actually a good and healthy thing. Tune in next time when someone else in another country talks about their likes on barefooting. Remember, speak your mind and comment down below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barefoot Interview #36: Australia's Steve

Barefoot Interview #25: USA's James #2